i-Enamel is essentially a thermally toughened glass where a colour is enameled to the rear face to become an integral element of the manufacturing process. This enameling process ensures the colour is always uniform, vivid and reflective with a high resistance to impacts and scratches, as well as being moisture resistant, therefore ideal for use in wet areas both internally and externally.
Before the enamel is applied, the already prepared, edgeworked annealed glass goes through a dedicated and rigorous toughening process to vastly improve the overall strength.
The prepared sheets of glass are heated to about 700°C in a furnace, which is just above the softening temperature of glass. They are then chilled rapidly by cold air blown onto both surfaces. This results in the two outer surfaces contracting and solidifying before the interior, which induces permanent compressive stresses into the surfaces of the glass, effectively increasing the strength of the glass. The interior of the glass naturally balances the compressive stress surface layers by being under tensile stress.
It is these properties that result in the increased strength and safe breakage characteristics of thermally toughened glass.
i-Enamel is seriously hard wearing, therefore ideal for use in public places, internal and external, plus i-Enamel is guaranteed for 10 years not to suffer peeling or crackles under normal condition of use.
i-Enamel is available in:
- 15 contemporary stock colours including white & black
- 6, 8 and 10 mm thicknesses
- Panels up to 3000 x 1800 mm
The technical benefits of i-Enamel include:
- Mechanical properties are unchanged by temperatures up to 300ºC and unaffected by temperatures of 200ºC
- Conforms to EN12150 standard and 1B.1 safety standard
- Water resistant
- Withstands thermal shocks, offering a large choice of applications
- Resistance to UV
- Manufactured and processed in-house at the iGlass factory so flexibility and fast turnaround times can be delivered
- EN 13501-1 A1 resistance to fire
- Resistance against sudden temperature
- BS EN 12600 (impact tested)
- Resistance against sudden temperatures
i-Enamel is easy to install. It can be installed with all standard adhesives and construction silicons including Sika. I-Enamel has been fully tested for bonding (standard adhesion test CQP 003-1); the report summary states ‘Excellent adhesion was achieved to coated glass panels with construction adhesive’ (Copies of the test report available on request.)dhesion was achieved to coated glass panels with construction adhesive’*
*Copies of the test report available on request